From: Hazen Valliant-Saunders <hazenvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel BUG
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 13:17:43
1 join the lkml (linux kernel mailing list) and let them know about it?
2
3 On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 7:43 AM, David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>wrote:
4
5 > For about a week, my workstation has been crashing every day or so.
6 > Typically it happens late at night while BackupPC is backing up a hard
7 > drive. With "tail -F /var/log/messages" running I saw EXT3 mentioned a
8 > few days ago and started suspecting a hard drive problem.
9 >
10 > Last night it happened again. This time my "tail ..." window was
11 > opened full screen so I saw all the messages and know more. Here's
12 > part of what I wrote down (until I got tired of writing):
13 >
14 > BUG unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000008
15 > IP ffffff8027ce14 free_block+0xb4/0x160
16 > PGD 11b638067 PUD 11b631067 PMD 0
17 > Oops 0002[1]SMP
18 > ...
19 > Call Trace
20 > 8027cac0 cache_flusharray+0x60/0xe0
21 > 8027cc46 kmem_cache_free
22 >
23 > I'm running a 2.6.25-gentoo-r7
24 >
25 > To learn more about what's happening (and to more easily record
26 > all the kernel messages), I'm now running "tail -F /var/log/messages"
27 > from a second machine (via an SSH session).
28 >
29 > Questions:
30 >
31 > Is there a better way to capture the full BUG output???
32 > Once I have the full BUG output, what's the next useful thing to do?
33 >
34 > Thanks!
35 >
36 > David