From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel BUG
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 13:33:11
2 >> For about a week, my workstation has been crashing every day or so.
3 >> Typically it happens late at night while BackupPC is backing up a hard
4 >> drive. With "tail -F /var/log/messages" running I saw EXT3 mentioned a
5 >> few days ago and started suspecting a hard drive problem.
6 >>
7 >> Last night it happened again. This time my "tail ..." window was
8 >> opened full screen so I saw all the messages and know more. Here's
9 >> part of what I wrote down (until I got tired of writing):
10 >>
11 >> BUG unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000008
12 >> IP ffffff8027ce14 free_block+0xb4/0x160
13 >> PGD 11b638067 PUD 11b631067 PMD 0
14 >> Oops 0002[1]SMP
15 >> ...
16 >> Call Trace
17 >> 8027cac0 cache_flusharray+0x60/0xe0
18 >> 8027cc46 kmem_cache_free
19 >>
20 >> I'm running a 2.6.25-gentoo-r7
21 >>
22 >> To learn more about what's happening (and to more easily record
23 >> all the kernel messages), I'm now running "tail -F /var/log/messages"
24 >> from a second machine (via an SSH session).
25 >>
26 >> Questions:
27 >>
28 >> Is there a better way to capture the full BUG output???
29 >> Once I have the full BUG output, what's the next useful thing to do?
32 > join the lkml (linux kernel mailing list) and let them know about it?
35 For a patched kernel like gentoo-sources, wouldn't it be appropriate
36 better to file a bug report at Gentoo's bugzilla?