From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo: stock trading tools ?
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 17:19:30
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > I'm looking into setting up a stock market monitoring
5 > > and trading workstation on Gentoo. Any suggestions
6 > > or experiences are welcome.
7
8 > Good luck. I don't envy you and I (attempt to) do this for a living at home...
9
10 Exactly what I (feared) suspected....
11
12 > TTBOMK there are no _real_ trading platforms available publicly
13 > specifically for Linux. Probably your best bet is to look at the stuff
14 > developed with R which is quite interesting but has a very high
15 > learning curve. (VERY HIGH) These packages are all part of the
16 > 'TradeAnalytics' project in R.
17 > FinancialInstrument
18 > RTAQ
19 > blotter
20 > quantstrat
21
22 > I've used quantstrat more than the others, and have played with
23 > blotter a bit. As this is all R-based it works in Linux AFAIK. That
24 > said I do everything in Windows VMs running in Virtualbox myself and
25 > just use Windows software, including the above packages running in a
26 > Windows R-gui.
27
28 Hello Mark,
29
30 I think I'll put the R stuff as research interest on a separate
31 machine to evaluate... I'm Looking for some guidance on this
32 (VM) subject, related to online stock trading. Should I set up a
33 machine on a hardened system? SeLinux? Other ideas like a
34 transparent bride with some specific application filtering?
35
36 Should I setup a specific application firewall between the VM system
37 and the outside net? A generic security (architectural) approach is of
38 keen interest to me (reading references?). Windows security for me is
39 often troublesome; so specific (private?) suggestions are also of keen
40 interest to me.
43 paranoid predilection,
44 James