From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] i cannot browser if the system is up too long
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 07:07:37
1 On Friday 16 April 2010 04:06:37 Xi Shen wrote:
2 > On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 2:55 AM, Stroller
3 >
4 > <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > > How are you connecting to the net?
6 >
7 > yes, i connect to the net through a router. and i share the router
8 > with my roommates.
9 >
10 > > Are you sure this isn't the router? Have you tried switching it off and
11 > > back on again? (seriously)
12 >
13 > i do not think so. if it is the router has the problem, all people
14 > using that router will suffer the same problem. but it is only me have
15 > this problem.
16
17 Not necessarily, it might have a limited NAT-table per host, rather then a
18 single one.
21 > > There is a tendency in BitTorrent to fill up the NAT tables of routers
22 > > with insufficient RAM. I cannot explain why this would appear not to
23 > > affect ping.
24 >
25 > my BT client use a fix port to connect to the net, and i guess it
26 > cannot configure the NAT table of the router.
27
28 The NAT-table is automatically filled with all the running connections to the
29 outside world.
30 This table is how the router keeps track of which packets need to be forwarded
31 to which machine behind the NAT-router.
32 Not all routers clear the cache quickly enough and most have a tendency to get
33 filled with these.
34
35 It's exactly because of this that I refuse to use a "plug-n-pray" router and
36 use a Linux box for this purpose.
37
38 I would still try Stroller's suggestion and turn the router off and on (But
39 leave your computer running). It will only affect the connection briefly and if
40 it resolves the issue, it will then be clear the problem is the router.
41 If the problem then still exists, the issue is somewhere else and we can try
42 to find it.
45 Joost