From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh connections time out
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:23:56
1 > Christopher Copeland wrote:
2 >>
3 >> On 27 Nov 2007, at 10:19, Mick wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Hi All,
6 >>>
7 >>> I have noticed this problem when I try to connect to two different
8 >>> machines in
9 >>> two different continents. One is on cable (US) the other on ISDN ADSL
10 >>> (Greece). In the evening and sometimes weekends ssh connections from
11 >>> my
12 >>> laptop to these two PCs are either taking ages or time out. This is
13 >>> ssh
14 >>> connections to sshd which is listening to random ports in the 200+ or
15 >>> 12000+
16 >>> ranges. If I eventually manage to connect the latency is ridiculous
17 >>> - up to
18 >>> 5 seconds! Sometimes I enter a passwd, if I can get that far and
19 >>> then wait
20 >>> for hours with no response. Eventually, I have to close the terminal.
21
22 <snip>
23
24 >> I've run across the same kind of issues on certain ISPs when using
25 >> non-standard ports for sshd. Given other connections (Gtalk) are
26 >> working, the first thing I would try in your position is to see if
27 >> there is a difference when using 22 versus your random port. With
28 >> certain ISPs in the UK I've found SSH connections to be unusable on
29 >> anything but the default port. Of course it has everything to do with
30 >> the "smart" traffic shaping at the ISP and there was nothing I could
31 >> do about it.
32 >> --
33 >> Christopher
34 >
35 > I also ran into something like this on a local network. I corrected
36 > this by adding the remote systems to my hosts file and putting the entry
37 > in the host file on the remote system. I'm not sure what affect this
38 > had but it worked like a charm after that. I guess it lets each other
39 > know who the other is or something.
40 >
41 > Hope that helps.
42 >
43 > Dale
44
45 Hi Dale,
46
47 Your comment might actually indicate a problem with the DNS-server
48 involved. Configuring the server(s) in the "hosts" file would be one
49 solution.
50
51 Mick, do you use IP-addresses or hostnames when you try to connect?
52 If you are using hostnames, can you test with IP-addresses instead?
53
54 Kind regards,
55
56 Joost Roeleveld