From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh connections time out
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:06:01
1 Christopher Copeland wrote:
2 >
3 > On 27 Nov 2007, at 10:19, Mick wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi All,
6 >>
7 >> I have noticed this problem when I try to connect to two different
8 >> machines in
9 >> two different continents. One is on cable (US) the other on ISDN ADSL
10 >> (Greece). In the evening and sometimes weekends ssh connections from my
11 >> laptop to these two PCs are either taking ages or time out. This is ssh
12 >> connections to sshd which is listening to random ports in the 200+ or
13 >> 12000+
14 >> ranges. If I eventually manage to connect the latency is ridiculous
15 >> - up to
16 >> 5 seconds! Sometimes I enter a passwd, if I can get that far and
17 >> then wait
18 >> for hours with no response. Eventually, I have to close the terminal.
19 >>
20 >> Tracerouting does not get through although some clever tcptraceroute
21 >> strings
22 >> may on occasions (intermittently) get through.
23 >>
24 >> Both servers run on domestic networks. BTW, ssh-ing to servers in
25 >> datacenters
26 >> with their big fiber-optic pipes, although relatively slow in peak
27 >> times,
28 >> always gets through.
29 >>
30 >> The strange thing is that there is no problem talking to these boxen
31 >> while
32 >> they run Google-Talk, it's only the ssh connection that seems to suffer.
33 >>
34 >> Have you come across such a problem before? How can I troubleshoot
35 >> it? In
36 >> this day and age of broadband connections it seems strange to get worse
37 >> performance than on a dialup network . . . I mean I have run VNC
38 >> connections
39 >> over a 56k dial up with more responsiveness than this!
40 >> --
41 >> Regards,
42 >> Mick
43 >
44 > I've run across the same kind of issues on certain ISPs when using
45 > non-standard ports for sshd. Given other connections (Gtalk) are
46 > working, the first thing I would try in your position is to see if
47 > there is a difference when using 22 versus your random port. With
48 > certain ISPs in the UK I've found SSH connections to be unusable on
49 > anything but the default port. Of course it has everything to do with
50 > the "smart" traffic shaping at the ISP and there was nothing I could
51 > do about it.
52 > --
53 > Christopher
54
55 I also ran into something like this on a local network. I corrected
56 this by adding the remote systems to my hosts file and putting the entry
57 in the host file on the remote system. I'm not sure what affect this
58 had but it worked like a charm after that. I guess it lets each other
59 know who the other is or something.
60
61 Hope that helps.
62