From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is my data gone?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:37:50
1 On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:14:45 +0200, KH wrote:
2
3 > > The data is still there, mke2fs just reset the superblock. Photorec
4 > > will recover file contents from a filesystem like this. It only
5 > > recovers the contents, not the metadata, so you'll end up with files
6 > > with meaningless names, but as they are video files I suspect there
7 > > are not too many of them and they are fairly easy to identify. At
8 > > least it's less work than importing and editing them all again.
9
10 > It will also find files you already deleted. I had this with an SD Card
11 > once and it is a lot of work to go throu all the files and see what it
12 > is.
13
14 Of course it will, since that is what it does, find deleted files.
15 Whether their directory entries were deleted with rm or mke2fs is
16 irrelevant because photorec looks for chains of blocks on the disk.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 One of the nice things about standards is that there are so many of them.