From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] QT4 Development
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:28:49
1 On Donnerstag 24 September 2009, Marco wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
3 >
4 > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Donnerstag 24 September 2009, Marco wrote:
6 > >> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
7 > >>
8 > >> <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
9 > >> > On Donnerstag 24 September 2009, Marco wrote:
10 > >>
11 > >> [...]
12 > >>
13 > >> > just install the qt4 set. Meta packages are being phased out.
14 > >>
15 > >> Not sure if I understand what you mean. I thought sets only exist for
16 > >> world and system?
17 > >>
18 > >> > Or unmask the meta package. /etc/portage/package.unmask.
19 > >>
20 > >> That's what I want to avoid since apparently this meta package gets
21 > >> removed in the future.
22 > >>
23 > >> --
24 > >> Regards,
25 > >> Marco
26 > >
27 > > so what? it really does not matter if it is there or not. And no - with
28 > > 2.2* portage there are many more sets than just world and system. You can
29 > > even easily create your own.
30 >
31 > Well, I try to avoid installing such packages to not have migration
32 > issues later.
33
34 you won't. The meta package is just a wrapper around splits. If it goes away -
35 so what? the splits still remain and are still updated. Only depclean might
36 screw you - in that case just install them via set.
39 > And, yes, portage 2.2* apparently supports many more sets, but portage
40 > 2.2* is still masked and I don't know if there is a potental risk to
41 > use it already.
44 and as long as portage 2.2 is masked, metas will stay around ;)