From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network printer not being found
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 18:23:48
1 On Friday, 30 October 2020 16:49:31 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday, 30 October 2020 11:51:32 GMT Michael wrote:
3 > > You need to add your user to the lpadmin group.
4 >
5 > All right. I've never had to do so before, but I have now. I've also set
6 > USE=zeroconf on /net-print/cups and remerged it. Both cupsd and cups-browsed
7 > are in the default run level. I've even tried connecting via USB-2; when I
8 > plug it in I get this in syslog:
9 >
10 > Oct 30 15:51:37 peak kernel: usb 3-7: new high-speed USB device number 9
11 > using xhci_hcd
12 > Oct 30 15:51:37 peak kernel: usblp 3-7:1.1: usblp0: USB Bidirectional
13 > printer dev 9 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x043D pid 0x0300
14 > Oct 30 15:51:37 peak kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp
15 >
16 > That all looks okay to me, no? But still cups can't see the printer.
17
18 We're confusing means of communication with the printer, or I am. The in-
19 kernel USB Printer support is deprecated and most printer software no longer
20 support it.
21
22 Instead just the USE="usb" flag when compiling cups should allow you to
23 communicate with USB ports on printers and the cupsd GUI should show the
24 printer when plugged in to a USB port on the PC. If you have compiled the USB
25 Printer support as a module you'll need to blacklist it so it doesn't load.
28 > I found a way, eventually. I had to declare the printer manually, under Add
29 > Printer. I chose ipp and gave it the URL ipp://<ip-addr>/ipp/print.
30
31 URLs imply a network connection using an ethernet cable, which is what I
32 assume you were trying to set up in the first instance. Avahi/zeroconf/upnp
33 will announce the printer on the network and as long as cups is compiled with
34 USE="zeroconf" it should show up when you go to Administration > Add Printer.
37 > It was
38 > found instantly and I could set the paper size. But when I print an Amazon
39 > return label with Firefox, I get just the text with a blank, framed box
40 > where the QR and bar codes should be.
41 >
42 > Google-chrome printed it though.
43
44 This is a browser + printing CSS if one is made available by the website.
45 Browsers have different default printing settings, including or excluding
46 background images, background colours, etc. Google-chrome happens to work on
47 this occasion, but the web developer ought to have done a better job by also
48 providing their preferred CSS for print jobs.
51 > Emerge -pv firefox returned this:
52 > www-client/firefox-82.0.2:0/82::gentoo USE="clang dbus gmp-autoupdate
53 > hwaccel openh264 pulseaudio system-av1 system-harfbuzz system-icu
54 > system-jpeg system- libevent system-libvpx system-webp -debug -eme-free
55 > -geckodriver -hardened - jack -lto -pgo -screencast (-selinux) -wayland
56 > -wifi" L10N="en-GB ..."
57 >
58 > Am I missing something important from that?
59
60 Nothing obvious jumps out, but half of these USE flags do not mean much to me.
61 :-/
62
63 More knowledgeable contributors on FF compile options should be able to chime
64 in.