From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network printer not being found
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 12:30:53
1 On Friday, 30 October 2020 18:23:38 GMT Michael wrote:
2 > On Friday, 30 October 2020 16:49:31 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 --->8
4 > We're confusing means of communication with the printer, or I am. The in-
5 > kernel USB Printer support is deprecated and most printer software no longer
6 > support it.
7
8 The menuconfig Help page gives no hint of that.
9 -->8
10 > > I found a way, eventually. I had to declare the printer manually, under
11 > > Add Printer. I chose ipp and gave it the URL ipp://<ip-addr>/ipp/print.
12 >
13 > URLs imply a network connection using an ethernet cable, which is what I
14 > assume you were trying to set up in the first instance. Avahi/zeroconf/upnp
15 > will announce the printer on the network and as long as cups is compiled
16 > with USE="zeroconf" it should show up when you go to Administration > Add
17 > Printer.
18
19 It didn't. That's the problem - well, the first one anyway.
20
21 I think I'll recover a kernel config from some months ago and see if that
22 helps. More straws being clutched at...
25 Regards,
26 Peter.