From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network printer not being found
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 17:07:07
1 On Saturday, 31 October 2020 12:30:44 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday, 30 October 2020 18:23:38 GMT Michael wrote:
3 > > On Friday, 30 October 2020 16:49:31 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > --->8
5 >
6 > > We're confusing means of communication with the printer, or I am. The in-
7 > > kernel USB Printer support is deprecated and most printer software no
8 > > longer support it.
9 >
10 > The menuconfig Help page gives no hint of that.
11 > -->8
12
13 Fair enough.
14
15 I recall there being a news item about it some years ago. Also, the Gentoo
16 wiki page mentions it:
17
18 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Printing#Locally_attached_printer_.28USB.29
19
20 However, if your network connection to the printer works, there's probably no
21 need to get the USB connection going.