From: forgottenwizard <phrexianreaper@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] simple firewall
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 23:45:50
1 On 00:24 Sun 05 Apr, gigli wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > I wonder if there is any easy firewall for gentoo. I tried ubuntu for a
5 > while and used their ufw, which was very simple.
6 >
7 > My needs:
8 >
9 > Block incoming traffic except for sshd and https (and sometimes
10 > bittorrent) and allow my lan to connect to my samba share, mythtv and
11 > mysql when i use openvpn or allways, which would be easyist. My box is
12 > usually protected by pfsense.
13 >
14 > I have a hard time to understand iptables and i have tried guarddog and
15 > kmyfirewall and others, didn't really like them. Something like ufw
16 > would be nice.
17 >
18 > Cheers
19 > Martin
23 Something I did was setup a virtual machine and did all my trial and
24 error there. It keeps you from messing up your machine, and you can test
25 everything out at your lesure.
26
27 As for software, you could look into Shorewall and see if that works for you.
30 I'm not anti-social, I'm just not user friendly