From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] simple firewall
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 09:22:39
1 forgottenwizard schrieb:
2 > On 00:24 Sun 05 Apr, gigli wrote:
3 >> Hi
4 >>
5 >> I wonder if there is any easy firewall for gentoo. I tried ubuntu for a
6 >> while and used their ufw, which was very simple.
7 >>
8 >> My needs:
9 >>
10 >> Block incoming traffic except for sshd and https (and sometimes
11 >> bittorrent) and allow my lan to connect to my samba share, mythtv and
12 >> mysql when i use openvpn or allways, which would be easyist. My box is
13 >> usually protected by pfsense.
14 >>
15 >> I have a hard time to understand iptables and i have tried guarddog and
16 >> kmyfirewall and others, didn't really like them. Something like ufw
17 >> would be nice.
18 >>
19 [...]
20 >
21 > As for software, you could look into Shorewall and see if that works for you.
24 I second that recommendation. Shorewall is a really great piece of
25 software: a lot of functionality paired with a lot of documentation.
26
27 It has got support for OpenVPN and macros for most common services
28 (which makes it a matter of maybe a minute to add a rule for a new service).
29
30 The only downside I see is that it compiles many rules which wouldn't be
31 strictly necessary and therefore needs a lot of kernel modules to start
32 (and it doesn't always give helpful error messages when it misses a module).