From: gigli <gigli@×××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] simple firewall
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 10:41:58
1 Florian Philipp skrev:
2 > forgottenwizard schrieb:
3 >> On 00:24 Sun 05 Apr, gigli wrote:
4 >>> Hi
5 >>>
6 >>> I wonder if there is any easy firewall for gentoo. I tried ubuntu for a
7 >>> while and used their ufw, which was very simple.
8 >>>
9 >>> My needs:
10 >>>
11 >>> Block incoming traffic except for sshd and https (and sometimes
12 >>> bittorrent) and allow my lan to connect to my samba share, mythtv and
13 >>> mysql when i use openvpn or allways, which would be easyist. My box is
14 >>> usually protected by pfsense.
15 >>>
16 >>> I have a hard time to understand iptables and i have tried guarddog and
17 >>> kmyfirewall and others, didn't really like them. Something like ufw
18 >>> would be nice.
19 >>>
20 > [...]
21 >> As for software, you could look into Shorewall and see if that works for you.
24 > I second that recommendation. Shorewall is a really great piece of
25 > software: a lot of functionality paired with a lot of documentation.
26 >
27 > It has got support for OpenVPN and macros for most common services
28 > (which makes it a matter of maybe a minute to add a rule for a new service).
29 >
30 > The only downside I see is that it compiles many rules which wouldn't be
31 > strictly necessary and therefore needs a lot of kernel modules to start
32 > (and it doesn't always give helpful error messages when it misses a module).
33 >
34 Thanks for the answers, i will give shorewall a new try and hope i'll
35 make better progress thsi time