From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 23:47:29
1 On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 01:10:14 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > One of the very first things you do with /usr at boot time is mount it,
4 > and from then on you use it exactly as if it were always on / anyway.
5 > I'll bet that since you moved all of portage out, your mount options and
6 > fs configs are the same between the two anyway. So what exactly does a
7 > separate /usr get you on a stabd-alone workstation buy you?
8
9 If allows you to have /usr on a volume manager, LVM of ZFS, without the
10 extra work of putting / on there. / doesn't really need to be on LVM/ZFS
11 since its size is unlikely to change much.
12
13 However, the main reason, IMO, for not putting root on the volume manager
14 is to avoid the use of an initramfs. If it's going to require it anyway,
15 you may as well use the initramfs to put / on the same managed volume
16 as /usr. That's the route I took a while ago, using an initramfs to avoid
17 having a separate /usr.
18
19 On the eudev vs. udev point: Dale, if you read flameyes's blog post,
20 you'll see that this isn't just about udev.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Windows Error #01: No error... ...yet.