From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 23:14:52
1 On 28/09/2013 00:57, Dale wrote:
2 > Bruce Hill wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 05:33:02PM -0500, Dale wrote:
4 >>> I'm hoping that since I use eudev, I don't have to worry about this.
5 >>> If I do, this could get interesting, again. Dale
6 >> Do you have /usr separate from / ?
7 >
8 > Yep. From my understanding tho, eudev is not supposed to be affected by
9 > this problem tho.
10 >
11 > One reason for this being seperate, I have / and /boot on a regular
12 > partition and everything else on LVM. Sometimes that /usr gets a bit
13 > full. It's not so bad after I moved all the portage stuff out and put
14 > it in /var. Now I have to watch /var too. lol
17 Ask yourself this question:
18
19 Why do you have /usr separate?
20
21 No really, *why exactly*?
22
23 One of the very first things you do with /usr at boot time is mount it,
24 and from then on you use it exactly as if it were always on / anyway.
25 I'll bet that since you moved all of portage out, your mount options and
26 fs configs are the same between the two anyway. So what exactly does a
27 separate /usr get you on a stabd-alone workstation buy you? I've been
28 looking at this for ages and conclude it buys me nothing but pain. They
29 don't even change much if /home and /var are elsewhere, so guage your
30 size right (easy to do) and never need look at it again.
31
32 Separate /usr for the most part is an ancient artifact from decades ago.
33 It's useful in edge cases but not in the general case with modern
34 hardware. So why do people do it? I reckon it's inertia and nothign
35 more. Which is kinda silly as inertia ignores everythign else in the
36 environment that is changing around you (and *that* is a given).
37
38 So unless you have something exotic like /usr mounted off a central
39 server, or want / on LVM (and your grub doesn't support lvm), you are
40 going to need an initramfs anyway to get around the circular bootstrap
41 problem.
42
43 I say people should make their lives easier and just stick /usr on the
44 same volume as / and be done with it. It removes a whole lot of painful
45 scenarios that are going to keep on biting you as the rest of the world
46 moves on and progresses
49 Alan McKinnon
50 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com