From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 11:32:36
1 On 2013-09-27 7:10 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > No really,*why exactly*?
3
4 Because that was the RECOMMENDED WAY IN THE GENTOO HANDBOOK when I first
5 set this system up many years ago.
6
7 I have no philosophical reason reason to stick with it, only a (maybe
8 irrational) fear of breaking things if I attempt to merge it back into /.
9
10 This, combined with an intense (also maybe irrational) desire to avoid
11 like the plague using an initramfs, is why this decision to FORCE me
12 into a position of possibly having to break my system (either by a filed
13 attempt at merging /usr into /, or a failed attampt at using an initramfs).
14
15 I too sincerely hope eudev bypasses this issue.
16
17 The main thing about this that pisses me off is the lack of enough
18 warning... one month? Really? One month to compleyelt rebuild a seerver
19 that has been running flawlessly for many years, just because someone
20 doesn't like something that has been done for many years?