From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upower suddenly demands systemd
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 23:31:28
1 On 06/06/2014 16:34, Gevisz wrote:
2 > After today's emerge-webrsync, I have found out that usual
3 > # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --ask world
4 > does not work, trying but being unable to emerge systemd.
5 >
6 > As I have found out, the reason for it was that upower
7 > suddenly decided that it needs systemd but, for some
8 > (lucky :) reason, it could not be emerged as my system
9 > uses OpenRC.
10 >
11 > The latest news said the following:
12 >
13 > "UPower discontinued hibernate and suspend support in favor of systemd.
14 > Because of this, we have created a compability package at
15 > sys-power/upower-pm-utils which will give you the old UPower with
16 > sys-power/pm-utils support back.
17 > Some desktops have integrated the sys-power/pm-utils support directly
18 > to their code, like Xfce, and as a result, they work also with the new
19 > UPower as expected.
20 >
21 > All non-systemd users are recommended to choose between:
22 >
23 > # emerge --oneshot --noreplace 'sys-power/upower-pm-utils'
24 >
25 > or
26 >
27 > # emerge --oneshot --noreplace '>=sys-power/upower-0.99.0'
28 >
29 > However, all systemd users are recommended to stay with
30 > sys-power/upower."
31 >
32 > However, that news did *not* say that without
33 > # emerge --oneshot --noreplace 'sys-power/upower-pm-utils'
34 > it is impossible to update the system even if you use xfce.
37 The news item is a compromise as the problem you ran into is really a
38 very minor one; it's the presence of systemd and two blocking upower
39 packages that cause confusion. Extra points for the magic flame
40 war-inducing trigger-word "systemd" - see the enormous threads here and
41 on -dev for proof.
42
43 So the news item clarifies that you are not being forced to use systemd
44 and explains the alternatives in a concise manner.
45
46 Once you have that done, anything that comes next is simple routine
47 portage blockers which you are expected to know how to deal with, and
48 are not at all worthy of mention in a news item.
51 > Only after executing the last command, which installed
52 > upower-pm-utils and unistalled upower, the
53 > # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --ask world
54 > worked as desired.
55 >
56 > upower was not in my world file, so I think it's a some kind of a bug.
59 It's not a bug and upower is not supposed to be in world. It's a simple
60 dep library that portage will pull in if you have any other packages
61 that need it. Keep it and upower-pm-utils out of world so that Samuli's
62 next planned phase of this change in UPower will go smoothly.
63
64 The reason for all the confusion is due to how portage works internally.
65 Briefly, it sees you have a choice between upower and upower-pm-utils
66 and usually ends up picking upower.
67
68 It's similar to virtuals where portage doesn't know what you want so
69 just picks the first in the list. If you want the second, then you have
70 to emerge it yourself first, stopping portage from deciding.
71
72 As I said above, this simple package addition produces the magic
73 flamewar trigger word "systemd" whcih always gets half the audience very
74 very upset indeed.
80 Alan McKinnon
81 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com