From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Trouble on the horizon!
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 10:11:54
1 On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 11:01 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > To me it looks like youtubers and some sites trying to make money through
4 > clickbait?
7 If you had not heard of it elsewhere the Linux code of conduct was
8 amended. It makes the CoC similar to those of other projects where
9 there are a number of (usually nontechnical) contributors who identify
10 as a champion of social justice.
11
12 The second link is not horrible, but I think is badly formatted. Here
13 is a picture for you:
14 https://4bds6hergc-flywheel.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/croraline-meritocracy.jpg.
15
16 The last link is actually very informative. I would recommend reading
17 it. Some contributors have apparently threatened to revoke the license
18 to their code which is now in Linux.
19
20 My personal opinion is that generally these CoC documents do not do
21 what they set out to do. Even without a contributor agreement people
22 can be and are ejected from projects for any reason. However, the
23 particular entourage that follows these CoCs can be harmful for a
24 community due to the regularity they find offense with other people.
25 You find under the "SJW" label people who think a man accused of rape
26 has no legal rights, etc... So CoC violations tend to devolve into
27 witchhunts.
30 My personal experience was that I was not really able to go to school
31 because of my gender. I am male. I had female classmates with worse
32 grades than I did that had school completely paid for due to
33 scholarships. If I tried to say this to some people they would blow up
34 in my face because of my race and gender, but would claim they are not
35 racist or sexist.
36
37 It is fine to say not everyone is like that, but trying to divorce a
38 movement from its most vocal subgroups is the
39 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman.
40
41 Cheers,
42 R0b0t1