From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: back up gentoo system
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 15:31:33
1 On 10 May 2008, at 07:07, Michael Schmarck wrote:
2 >>
3 >> So. We can use the same web pages, read the same email, why not share
4 >> hardware?
5 >
6 > Because it doesn't make sense, to share the same filesystem for
7 > backing up Windows and Linux?
8
9 You keep saying this like it's obvious, but don't provide any good
10 reason for it.
11
12 There's no reason why I shouldn't have a singe external drive
13 containing three directories: "My Mac", "Ann's Linux Box", "Bee's
14 Windows PC".
15
16 I can only assume that you find it inelegant to store files on a
17 filesystem which will not handle their metadata - ownership, group,
18 permissions in the case of Linux, or the more sophisticated ACLs used
19 by Windows XP Pro & 2003.
20
21 Just because YOU find it inelegant, doesn't mean that anyone else
22 cares. A file is a file, and when recovering from backups most of us
23 can drag & drop "My Photos" to the new filesystem and then take
24 ownership of the files.
25
26 Stroller.
29 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list