From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: back up gentoo system
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 19:02:28
1 On Samstag, 10. Mai 2008, Stroller wrote:
2 > On 10 May 2008, at 07:07, Michael Schmarck wrote:
3 > >> So. We can use the same web pages, read the same email, why not share
4 > >> hardware?
5 > >
6 > > Because it doesn't make sense, to share the same filesystem for
7 > > backing up Windows and Linux?
8 >
9 > You keep saying this like it's obvious, but don't provide any good
10 > reason for it.
11 >
12 > There's no reason why I shouldn't have a singe external drive
13 > containing three directories: "My Mac", "Ann's Linux Box", "Bee's
14 > Windows PC".
15 >
16 > I can only assume that you find it inelegant to store files on a
17 > filesystem which will not handle their metadata - ownership, group,
18 > permissions in the case of Linux, or the more sophisticated ACLs used
19 > by Windows XP Pro & 2003.
20 >
21 > Just because YOU find it inelegant, doesn't mean that anyone else
22 > cares. A file is a file, and when recovering from backups most of us
23 > can drag & drop "My Photos" to the new filesystem and then take
24 > ownership of the files.
25 >
26 > Stroller.
27
28 if you tar 'em up you don't even need to worry about the file permission
29 capabilities of the underlying fs. Just don't forget the -p switch on
30 extraction ;)
31 --
32 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list