From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] resolving names of local hosts locally
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 09:28:24
1 On 16/12/2015 11:09, Tom H wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 4:01 AM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>> There are several problems with your idea. First, the configured
5 >>>
6 >>> namservers in resolv.conf are caching servers, not authoritative
7 >>> servers. You never configure an auth server to act as a cache. Yes, it
8 >>> can be done. No, it's an awful idea and things break horribly.
9 >>
10 >> What breaks if you have caching and auth on the same server? I have been
11 >> running my tiny home network this way for years. The local domain is
12 >> properly delegated, but if you just wont a local domain that's not
13 >> necessary.
14 >
15 > The ISC recommends separating authoritative and caching bind servers.
16 >
17 > The main reason that I can think of is that someone can poison the
18 > cache of the domains for which a server's authoritative.
22 If I were a serious Cyber Kriminal, here's the avenue I'd be looking for:
23
24 Find some vendor of low or medium end equipment (some, small business
25 kit) that "helpfully" provides a combined DNS cache and auth server on
26 the border router and just as helpfully announces this to the internal
27 network. We all know how bad security on that stuff really is (think
28 factory default user admin pass admin, and never changed).
29
30 Find an exploit for these things and load lame zone files for some major
31 banks and other juicy target pointing at my malware. The owners of this
32 kit will never notice I did this. The router's DNS cache will trust the
33 authoritative zone it has loaded even though it's orphaned.
34
35 Awesome thanks. I just 0wned the internet for that entire business. And
36 9 out of 10 of those businesses will never find it.
37
38 Solution: obey best practice. Never run auth and cache on the same
39 address. On the same machine is fine, they are different daemons.
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com