From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] resolving names of local hosts locally
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 09:09:54
1 On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 4:01 AM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>
3 >> There are several problems with your idea. First, the configured
4 >>
5 >> namservers in resolv.conf are caching servers, not authoritative
6 >> servers. You never configure an auth server to act as a cache. Yes, it
7 >> can be done. No, it's an awful idea and things break horribly.
8 >
9 > What breaks if you have caching and auth on the same server? I have been
10 > running my tiny home network this way for years. The local domain is
11 > properly delegated, but if you just wont a local domain that's not
12 > necessary.
13
14 The ISC recommends separating authoritative and caching bind servers.
15
16 The main reason that I can think of is that someone can poison the
17 cache of the domains for which a server's authoritative.