From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FS for laptop
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:27:16
1 On Tuesday 18 December 2007 03:56:10 pm Sergey Kobzar wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > I just had discussion with my friend which file system to use on
5 > laptop with Gentoo.
6 >
7 > - ReiserFS looks unsupported now
8 > - ext3 looks slow some time
9 > - XFS maybe?
10 >
11 > Requirements are:
12 > - low memory usage
13 > - fast enough for laptop
14 > - good supported
15 >
16 > Any ideas?
19 Plenty... Yes, all laptops need a journaled FS. The easiest I've found to
20 install and then admin is EXT3. If you feel that you need anything "more
21 powerful" then you should move your work to a desktop.
22
23 As a side note, I've been using ext4dev as an expirement and I find it quite
24 nice. However, be aware, once you enable "extents" as a boot option and cause
25 writes to the disk (ie. save a file, etc)... you can never go back to ext3 or
26 plain old ext2 without a format.
29 Cheers.
35 From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride
36 --