From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FS for laptop
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:44:11
1 On Dienstag, 18. Dezember 2007, Jerry McBride wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 18 December 2007 03:56:10 pm Sergey Kobzar wrote:
3 > > Hi guys,
4 > >
5 > > I just had discussion with my friend which file system to use on
6 > > laptop with Gentoo.
7 > >
8 > > - ReiserFS looks unsupported now
9 > > - ext3 looks slow some time
10 > > - XFS maybe?
11 > >
12 > > Requirements are:
13 > > - low memory usage
14 > > - fast enough for laptop
15 > > - good supported
16 > >
17 > > Any ideas?
18 >
19 > Plenty... Yes, all laptops need a journaled FS. The easiest I've found to
20 > install and then admin is EXT3. If you feel that you need anything "more
21 > powerful" then you should move your work to a desktop.
22 >
23 > As a side note, I've been using ext4dev as an expirement and I find it
24 > quite nice. However, be aware, once you enable "extents" as a boot option
25 > and cause writes to the disk (ie. save a file, etc)... you can never go
26 > back to ext3 or plain old ext2 without a format.
27
28 if we are at recommending experimental fs, why not reiser4?
29 Its atomic structure makes it very nice - and so far it survived a lot of crap
30 it had to endure (like a lot of reset-button and plugs out of socket events).
31
32 And reiser4 has less bug reports than ext3 :P
33
34 But to get back on track: as long as he stays away from XFS it should not
35 matter which fs he chooses (well, except jfs...)
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list