From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] When Linux desktop will be at least so convenient as MS DOS?
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 09:08:43
1 2018-07-13 10:14 GMT+03:00 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
2 > On Friday, 13 July 2018 01:31:04 BST Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 13/07/18 02:48, gevisz wrote:
4 >> > But currently I am ready to try even the "dirty" way to organize
5 >> > keyboard layout switch if it will give me a nice cracking sound
6 >> > of old good days :) when typing in Cyrilic keyboard layout.
7 >>
8 >> It will not. There is no reason to, since you can see it. In MS-DOS, you
9 >> couldn't see it, thus the sound was the only way to communicate the
10 >> current keyboard layout to the user.
11 >
12 > I didn't know of Dmitry Gurtyak, or his particular application. You may want
13 > to take a look at xset and in particular 'xset +c' to switch on the keyboard
14 > clicking sound. If you append this to the command which is run when you
15 > switch to Cyrillic you would get a clicking sound. You can also set the
16 > volume of the clicking sound by using a value from 1-100.
17
18 Thank you for your reply.
19
20 'xset c' seems to be the right way to set a crackling sound when
21 a keyboard button is pressed.
22
23 The still open question for me is how to combine it with the
24 '/usr/bin/setxkbmap us,some-cyrillic' command I use to set
25 keyboard layouts to get a nice crackling sound only in a Cyrillic
26 keyboard layout.
27
28 P.S. A simple test revealed that 'xset c' probably uses a small
29 beeper attached to the motherboard. It is ok. Moreover, the
30 same was used by Keyrus. But I still have to find and connect
31 it to the motherboard: I detached it some time ago because
32 it beeped to often during the compilation time while updating
33 the system.