From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading to gcc 4.1: emerge -e world required?
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 21:55:21
1 Saturday 27 May 2006 19:58 skrev Alexander Skwar:
2 > >> gcc update "Nothing needs to be done".... Sure... How much did the
3 > >> person who wrote this check? "Hello World!" worked, and that's it?
4
5 What exactly do you intend to achieve by flaming the devs?
6
7 > >> Sometimes this complete lack of QA is really pissing me off :(
8 > >
9 > > Stop using ~arch packages, or stop whining.
10 >
11 > No, I won't do neither. The GWN and the upgrade doc used to say,
12 > that an upgrade is (basically) riskless.
13
14 Well, you chose to be on the cutting edge. You chose to upgrade as soon as it
15 was unmasked. If you really think there is a complete lack of QA then why the
16 hell didn't you wait a week to see if it was true?
17
18 > That's wrong - as it has been confirmed and corrected now. If that
19 > warning would have been there in the gcc-upgrade doc, everything
20 > would have been fine.
21 >
22 > > ~arch works most of the
23 > > time, but it is a _testing_ branch. Do you expect the devs to login
24 > > to each and every Gentoo user's system to test a new package and
25 > > ensure complete functionality before adding it to ~arch?
26 >
27 > Bullshit.
28
29 That's not bullshit. Occasional breakage is the risk when living on the
30 cutting edge. This is the purpose of the testing branch.
31
32 > I'd expect them to do testing and not give so bold statements
33 > as "The upgrade should be incredibly easy and require no additional
34 > work to install and use. " without making VERY sure, that this
35 > is actually true.
36 >
37 > Granted - there's only so much that can be done. And also
38 > granted, that's ~arch. But that statement is just so irritating.
39
40 Well, the devs are unpaid volunteers and human beings. They do make mistakes
41 sometimes but I'm quite convinced that their intensions are good. Get over
42 it.
43
44 > And what's also irritating are so many small errors, like files
45 > with non-matching filesizes/checksums in the digests.
46
47 This has got nothing to do with the gcc upgrade. It has to do with the fact
48 that ebuilds are occasionally updated with no change of revision.
49
50 > > I just upgraded to gcc-4.1 and pruned 3.4.6, and KDE, koffice, OOo,
51 > > and mozilla all still load and run fine.
52 >
53 > Did you yet re-compile Qt 3 and Qt 4? No?
54
55 I just did (only qt 3.3.6-r1 - I don't have qt 4). And guess what. KDE
56 (kontact, kmail, knode, akregator, konqueror, ...) still works on my system.
57
58 So now I'm recompiling everything that has the kdehiddenvisibility use flag
59 with that enabled..
60
61 But did you not see the einfo from postinst in qt-3*?
62
63 > INFO: postinst
64 > After a rebuild of Qt, it can happen that Qt plugins (such as Qt/KDE styles,
65 > or widgets for the Qt designer) are no longer recognized. If this situation
66 > occurs you should recompile the packages providing these plugins, and you
67 > should also make sure that Qt and its plugins were compiled with the same
68 > version of gcc. Packages that may need to be rebuilt are, for instance,
69 > kde-base/kdelibs, kde-base/kdeartwork and kde-base/kdeartwork-styles.
70 > See http://doc.trolltech.com/3.3/plugins-howto.html for more infos.
71
72 Note that it says rebuild and not upgrade.
73
74 [SNIP]
77 Bo Andresen