From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 23:18:57
1 On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 23:25 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Monday 18 January 2010 22:47:05 Dale wrote:
3 > > In that case, ctrl alt F1 does nothing. You also need to understand
4 > > that most people don't even know how to use SysRq keys. I didn't and
5 > > had to do a hard shutdown. I had to actually pull the plug to do any
6 > > good. Luckily I knew how to get it to boot into single user mode so I
7 > > could disable hal otherwise I would be right back on the same screen
8 > > again with no mouse or keyboard. It would be really bad if even that
9 > > didn't work with devicekit. I'm not sure how it couldn't but we never
10 > > know do we?
11 >
12 > Dale's experiences highlight a very important and very fundamental rule of
13 > desktop system design:
14 >
15 > As a developer you must completely and totally guarantee to the full limit of
16 > what is feasible, that the user will always have a usable keyboard, mouse and
17 > display after the desktop has launched. You can fallback to VGA resolution and
18 > the most basic keyboard layout possible if you need to, but you must give the
19 > user something and never leave them stranded. Anything else is just an epic
20 > fail.
21
22 My 2c worth is this: In any other distribution, the xorg/hal update
23 would have been configured so that Dale's (sorry to keep using you as an
24 example :) keyboard / mouse was working. But this is Gentoo. You ARE
25 the distributor AND the end user. Conflicts in libraries / packages are
26 up to you to resolve.
27
28 About 3-4 people use Gentoo at work, and at least 2 were hit by the
29 keyboard/mouse not working bug in xorg when it moved to HAL. With a bit
30 of fuddling, remerging, and so on, we got it working in both cases.
31
32 So yes, the developer must give a fallback method of using the
33 keyboard / mouse, but not against the incorrectly packaged / configured
34 system. In Gentoo you often end up with an incorrect system, hence
35 revdep-rebuild and so on.
40 It's more than magnificent-it's mediocre. -Samuel Goldwyn