From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Adobe flash warning and tree
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 18:49:30
1 On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 04:50:58PM -0600, »Q« wrote
2 > On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 15:47:47 -0600
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Correct me if I'm wrong here. Isn't flash supposed to be dying
6 > > anyway? Why are so many sites still using it if they should be using
7 > > HTML5? Isn't HTML5 supposed to eliminate flash??
8 >
9 > It's been *supposed* to be dying for years, and HTML5 video was hoped
10 > to be the silver bullet that would finish it off. Mozilla certainly
11 > wants it dead, and IIRC even Google and Adobe have paid lip service to
12 > killing it off. Unfortunately (IMO, natch) Mozilla no longer has the
13 > market share to drive things, and (IMO again) Google doesn't have the
14 > will to deal with it, despite having taken steps such as using HTML5
15 > on YouTube. Mozilla recently announced deprecation of all NPAPI
16 > plugins -- except Flash, because people whose news/sports/porn videos
17 > stopped working would just switch to Chrome.
18
19 The other problem is that HTML5 sucks up more CPU for video. My data
20 point with an ancient underpowered Atom netbook watching a Youtube music
21 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqhdRs4jyA
22
23 Flash
24 =====
25 1) Regular (i.e. smallest) display plays OK
26 2) Wide format display plays OK
27 3) Fullscreen audio OK, but video stutters badly
28
29 HTML5
30 =====
31 1) Regular (i.e. smallest) display plays OK
32 2) Wide format audio OK, but video stutters badly
33 3) Fullscreen; you don't really want to know
36 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
37 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications