From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Adobe flash warning and tree
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 22:51:52
1 On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 15:47:47 -0600
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Correct me if I'm wrong here. Isn't flash supposed to be dying
5 > anyway? Why are so many sites still using it if they should be using
6 > HTML5? Isn't HTML5 supposed to eliminate flash??
7
8 It's been *supposed* to be dying for years, and HTML5 video was hoped
9 to be the silver bullet that would finish it off. Mozilla certainly
10 wants it dead, and IIRC even Google and Adobe have paid lip service to
11 killing it off. Unfortunately (IMO, natch) Mozilla no longer has the
12 market share to drive things, and (IMO again) Google doesn't have the
13 will to deal with it, despite having taken steps such as using HTML5
14 on YouTube. Mozilla recently announced deprecation of all NPAPI
15 plugins -- except Flash, because people whose news/sports/porn videos
16 stopped working would just switch to Chrome.
17
18 I think we have to look to the big social media companies and to
19 Google for hope, which is kinda sad. Facebook has recently completed
20 their transition to using HTM5 video. Twitter's Periscope still uses
21 Flash. I don't know what critical mass of sites will get Google to
22 drop Flash support, but I think that's the only way it will eventually
23 happen.
24
25 AFAIK, with all major browsers supporting HTML5 video, the only reason
26 so many sites still require Flash is that it costs money to transition.
27
28 > I thought Yahoo switched a good while back. I know I went in and
29 > changed it to use HTML5 but it still gripes when I go there about
30 > flash being a problem. Odd.
31
32 I dunno, I don't use Yahoo much. The griping might be because Yahoo is
33 embedding Flash from other sites -- I know they do from nfl.com, at
34 least, because I was watching highlights there yesterday.
35
36 > I have a weather site that I use and as far as I know, it is flash
37 > only. Of course, it is a Govt run site so they will likely be the
38 > very last ones to switch over to the new and improved way too. :/
39
40 Heh, I just found that NOAAH offers looping radar imagery via Java,
41 Flash, HTML5, and animated GIFs. Talk about the Department of
42 Redundancy Department. <http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/imagery/eaus.html>
43
44 > I'm planning to do my regular updates shortly. Maybe something new
45 > will be in the tree by then, I hope anyway. One good thing about it,
46 > it makes Yahoo not auto-play any more. ;-)
47
48 :-) That's one of the big arguments in favor of open tech on the web,
49 that it gives users more control of their experiences. I don't know of
50 a way to prevent Flash autoplay short of something like FlashBlock.