From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Adobe flash warning and tree
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 21:48:03
1 »Q« wrote:
2 > On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 19:26:19 +0000
3 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Sunday 10 Jan 2016 18:39:43 Ian Bloss wrote:
6 >>> You can install pepperflash to chromium although it's proprietary.
7 >>> Google Chrome has pepper flash by default
8 >> For Chromium you can install:
9 >>
10 >> www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins
11 > For Firefox and other NPAPI-using browsers,
12 > www-plugins/freshplayerplugin is an option. It's essentially a wrapper
13 > for PPAPI plugins, and it depends on chrome-binary-plugins. Using it
14 > the past few months, I find I no longer get the "your Flash is
15 > outdated" messages from sites but it crashes much more frequently
16 > than adobe-flash did.
22 Correct me if I'm wrong here. Isn't flash supposed to be dying anyway?
23 Why are so many sites still using it if they should be using HTML5?
24 Isn't HTML5 supposed to eliminate flash?? I thought Yahoo switched a
25 good while back. I know I went in and changed it to use HTML5 but it
26 still gripes when I go there about flash being a problem. Odd.
27
28 I have a weather site that I use and as far as I know, it is flash
29 only. Of course, it is a Govt run site so they will likely be the very
30 last ones to switch over to the new and improved way too. :/
31
32 I'm planning to do my regular updates shortly. Maybe something new will
33 be in the tree by then, I hope anyway. One good thing about it, it
34 makes Yahoo not auto-play any more. ;-)
35
36 Dale
37