From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Howzat!
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 05:11:11
1 On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Hello list,
5 >>
6 >> How's this for sheer persistence and grit?
7 >>
8 >> $ genlop -c
9 >>
10 >>  Currently merging 321 out of 368
11 >>
12 >>  * www-client/chromium-10.0.648.204
13 >>
14 >>        current merge time: 11 hours, 41 minutes and 9 seconds.
15 >>        ETA: any time now.
16 >>
17 >> This is my Atom N270 LAN server box.
21 > I got a very old Compaq rig with quad 200Mhz CPUs and 128Mbs of ram.  I have
22 > always wondered how long it would take to compile OOo on that thing.  12
23 > hours to compile a browser does take patience.  I hope you don't have a
24 > power failure right at the end.  o_O
25 >
26 > How long does it take to open it when it gets done?  Seconds?  Minutes?
27 >
28 > Dale
29 >
30 > :-)  :-)
34 Assuming a reasonable 1GB ram on the box (pretty well standard to low
35 with an Atom), and considering what my netbook does (the same single
36 core 1.6GHz with HT turned on for responsiveness in my case), about
37 2-3 seconds... but then I'm on a little SSD too. I should admit my
38 netbook's running Debian at the moment, though. Didn't want to abuse
39 the SSD too much with writes, and it's tedious to install things
40 through an intermediary system all the time. The fullsize laptop, when
41 it gets its rebuild over the next week (it's been a windows 2k3 server
42 development system lately)
45 Poison [BLX]
46 Joshua M. Murphy