From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Akregator.
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 14:43:55
1 On Tuesday 22 March 2016 08:55:26 Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Read the manual.
4 > > ...and get rid of all those excruciating scripts of yours and start
5 > > doing things manually and sanely, one step at a time.
6 >
7 > Repeat the following three times daily:
8 >
9 > The purpose of a computer is to save me time and effort.
10
11 That's reasonable. Here's my daily update script:
12
13 #!/bin/bash
14 #
15 # /usr/local/sbin/sync-update
16 #
17 emerge --sync &&\
18 echo &&\
19 echo " Updating eix database..."; eix-update; echo &&\
20 emerge -auDvU --jobs=12 --load-average=20 --nospinner --keep-going
21 world &&\
22 echo
23
24 That's it. I don't need anything more. Others have a fancier setup that runs
25 pretend updates overnight and e-mails them with the results, but I prefer my
26 way. You prefer yours of course, but it leads you into shark-infested waters
27 because you haven't a clue what you're doing. That's why you should go back
28 to doing things manually until you learn what you need to know.
29
30 Better still: switch to a distro that suits you better.
31
32 [OT]
33 How should I set up KMail's filters to ignore not only an obnoxious
34 contributor but all replies to him as well? Just filtering on his address
35 anywhere in the headers is too coarse because interesting titbits sometimes
36 appear in the conversation.
37 [/OT]
40 Rgds
41 Peter