From: PaulNM <gentoo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Adding Gentoo to Win-XP/NTSF machine
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:12:38
1 Mick wrote:
2
3 > Yes. You may also remove the linux boot image file C:\bootsect.lnx. The only
4 > drawback is that if he keeps Gentoo and ends up using it regularly, then
5 > every time you/he compile a new kernel you will need to repeat the exercise.
6
7 You will not need to redo all this every time you (re)compile a kernel
8 if you're using grub, only add the new entry for the kernel in
9 /boot/grub/grub.conf. With Lilo you will. The code in the MBR that Grub
10 puts in allows it to access the boot partition and read the config,
11 while lilo had to write it to the mbr every time you change things.
12
13 >> Presumably I'd do this on the Gentoo boot sector after loading grub?
14 >
15 > Yes. Otherwise the dd command will not find the Grub boot code in the
16 > partition boot sector to copy into bootsect.lnx.
19 Install Lilo/Grub in the whatever partition /boot is on, then use dd, etc.
20
21 Take a look at:
22 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Boot_from_Windows_Bootloader_%28NTLDR%29_and_why
23
24 It has all the info you need, and actually brings up the "bootable flag
25 on the partition" question. I used this to put grub on my latest
26 machine. I haven't needed to do anything to the NTLDR setup since the
27 install, despite several kernel upgrades.
28
29 HTH,
30 PaulNM
31 --