From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Adding Gentoo to Win-XP/NTSF machine
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 22:31:00
1 On Saturday 26 August 2006 22:10, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Thanks Mick,
3 > I've never done the NTLDR method. That looks fairly interesting and
4 > somewhat benign in the sense that (it appears...) I add an entry to
5 > boot.ini to make Linux visible and then remove it if he doesn't end up
6 > using Linux at all.
7
8 Yes. You may also remove the linux boot image file C:\bootsect.lnx. The only
9 drawback is that if he keeps Gentoo and ends up using it regularly, then
10 every time you/he compile a new kernel you will need to repeat the exercise.
11
12 > Presumably I'd do this on the Gentoo boot sector after loading grub?
13
14 Yes. Otherwise the dd command will not find the Grub boot code in the
15 partition boot sector to copy into bootsect.lnx.
16
17 > Last thing for now - does the Gentoo boot partition need to be
18 > marked as bootable in fdisk? I'm not clear about that at all.
19
20 No, not at all. Grub and Linux does not need this flag. WinXP on the other
21 hand may well need it - if there are other Windoze OS' on the same machine,
22 if the NTLDR.exe is on a any other than the first partition on the first
23 disk, etc. So, just in case, I suggest that you flag as bootable the WinXP
24 partition.
25
26 Good luck.
27 --