From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Keyboard is dead after emerge-update
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 04:36:36
1 On March 22, 2016 1:37:16 AM GMT+01:00, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 00:10:12 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>>> Anyone who boots directly to X'doze without first going through a
6 >>>>> safe console login is a raging mad lunatic who needs his head
7 >>>>> examined.
8 >>>> After all, it's not as though it falls back to a console if X fails
10 >>>> load - as it does with monotonous regularity every eight years or
11 >>>> so.
12 >>> Except X failing to load and falling back toa console never seems to
13 >>> the failure mode I'd run into. It's more like X starts up and the
14 >>> keyboard and mouse don't work, so I've got to go dig out my laptop
15 >>> (which was hopefully not left at the office) boot it up and then ssh
16 >>> into the temporarily headless machine and kill X.
17 >> It's that long since I've had X fail to start (probably because I
18 >don't
19 >> use binary drivers) that I can't really remember, but I don't recall
20 >> every having to do this.
21 >>
22 >> Even so, having to look for something else to SSH in with, when my
23 >phone
24 >> is always in my pocket, every 8 years would use far less time that
25 >that
26 >> I've saved over the years - but I'd try Alt-SysReq-R before hunting
27 >for
28 >> an SSH client.
33 >The last time I had X to fail when booting was when I tried hal. Other
34 >than that, I don't recall it ever failing for me either.
35 >
36 >Dale
37 >
39
40 You said it! *gasp*horror* :)
41
42 Call the exorcist!
45 Joost
46 --
47 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.