From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Keyboard is dead after emerge-update
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 00:37:27
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 00:10:12 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> Anyone who boots directly to X'doze without first going through a
5 >>>> safe console login is a raging mad lunatic who needs his head
6 >>>> examined.
7 >>> After all, it's not as though it falls back to a console if X fails to
8 >>> load - as it does with monotonous regularity every eight years or
9 >>> so.
10 >> Except X failing to load and falling back toa console never seems to
11 >> the failure mode I'd run into. It's more like X starts up and the
12 >> keyboard and mouse don't work, so I've got to go dig out my laptop
13 >> (which was hopefully not left at the office) boot it up and then ssh
14 >> into the temporarily headless machine and kill X.
15 > It's that long since I've had X fail to start (probably because I don't
16 > use binary drivers) that I can't really remember, but I don't recall
17 > every having to do this.
18 >
19 > Even so, having to look for something else to SSH in with, when my phone
20 > is always in my pocket, every 8 years would use far less time that that
21 > I've saved over the years - but I'd try Alt-SysReq-R before hunting for
22 > an SSH client.
27 The last time I had X to fail when booting was when I tried hal. Other
28 than that, I don't recall it ever failing for me either.
29
30 Dale
31