From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Keyboard is dead after emerge-update
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 00:28:33
1 On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 00:10:12 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > >> Anyone who boots directly to X'doze without first going through a
4 > >> safe console login is a raging mad lunatic who needs his head
5 > >> examined.
6 >
7 > > After all, it's not as though it falls back to a console if X fails to
8 > > load - as it does with monotonous regularity every eight years or
9 > > so.
10 >
11 > Except X failing to load and falling back toa console never seems to
12 > the failure mode I'd run into. It's more like X starts up and the
13 > keyboard and mouse don't work, so I've got to go dig out my laptop
14 > (which was hopefully not left at the office) boot it up and then ssh
15 > into the temporarily headless machine and kill X.
16
17 It's that long since I've had X fail to start (probably because I don't
18 use binary drivers) that I can't really remember, but I don't recall
19 every having to do this.
20
21 Even so, having to look for something else to SSH in with, when my phone
22 is always in my pocket, every 8 years would use far less time that that
23 I've saved over the years - but I'd try Alt-SysReq-R before hunting for
24 an SSH client.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Znqr lbh ybbx!