From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub1: Cant ? Re: keeping grub 1
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 20:27:48
1 On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Michel Catudal <mcatudal@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Le 2015-08-27 23:36, Fernando Rodriguez a écrit :
3 >>
4 >> On Thursday, August 27, 2015 9:25:01 PM Michel Catudal wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> This is nonsense. I have never had a case where it would not boot when I
7 >>
8 >> have grub correctly installed on the partition.
9 >>
10 >> Install grub to a partition and do something like this:
11 >>
12 >> su
13 >> cd
14 >> mv /boot/grub grub
15 >> cp -r grub /boot
16 >> rm -r grub
17 >>
18 > What is your point? same if I do that with grub1, it was even more fun with
19 > windows 98 by deleting win.ini or renaming it "win .ini"
20 > With grub on the partition my bootloader doesn't get wacked and I can
21 > restore the OS if I do a stupid thing like this.
22
23 I think you missed his point. If you do those commands your system
24 will actually reboot just fine most likely. Today.
25
26 It might reboot tomorrow too.
27
28 A few weeks from now it probably won't.
29
30 Copying and deleting the grub stages doesn't bother grub one bit. On
31 the other hand, overwritting those no-longer-allocated blocks with
32 other data will.
33
34 And that is why you need to use --force to make grub behave in this manner.
37 Rich