From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -avt xfce4-meta; haven't got startxfce4. Help, please!
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:45:46
1 On Wednesday 10 February 2010 17:33:46 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:22 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 02:39:14PM -0500, dhk wrote:
4 > >> Do you have xfce-base/xfdesktop installed? Try installing it.
5 > >
6 > > No, as it happens, I didn't. When I tried
7 > >
8 > > # emerge xfdesktop
9 > >
10 > > , the compiler threw a segfault. It does this reproducibly. Bother!
11 > >
12 > > I don't have any fancy C\(XX\)?FLAGS set, and am using a standard
13 > > athlon-64 setup.
14 > >
15 > > Presumably, rebuilding the compiler isn't going to help much, since the
16 > > athlon-64 stage-3 would have had the latest and greatest compiler anyhow.
17 > >
18 > > I think, at this stage, I'll just try emerging a different window
19 > > manager. Maybe blackbox.
20 >
21 > Is it just me? On a new install I always still to an emerge -e @world
22 > once I get to a working text based boot and I've done any modification
23 > to make.conf as I don't really know how the compiler or tool set was
24 > built. Just paranoid.
25
26 That's worthwhile, it goes real quick once gcc and glibc are built. Plus
27 (until recently at least) the published stages always had an out of date gcc
28 on them.
29
30 > I used to do it twice before I started installing apps or desktops but
31 > I've cut back. :-)
32
33 Twice is pointless :-)
34
35 gcc rebuilds itself twice to ensure that the binary is built with the same
36 version as the result, and verifies that the last two are bit-wise identical.
37 Then building the toolchain, then building the rest of world gives you exactly
38 what you hope to get from doing it twice.
42 > If you care to compare:
43 >
44 > mark@firefly ~ $ cat /etc/make.conf
45 > # Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
46 > # detailed example.
47 > CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe"
48 > #Safe CFlags for the Core-i7, saved for reference
49 > #CFLAGS="-march=core2 -msse4 -mcx16 -msahf -O2 -pipe"
50 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
51 > # WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done
52 > lightly. # Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml
53 > before changing. CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
54 > # These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by
55 > the # profile used for building.
56 > #USE="hal"
57 > USE="aac alsa cairo caps cdda cddb cdparanoia cdr dts dvd dvdr ffmpeg
58 > flac fltk ftp gnome hal ieee1394 jack kde lame java jpeg ladspa lame
59 > lash libsamplerate mmx mp3 mp4 mpeg musepack nsplugin ogg sse sse2
60 > ssse3 sse4 tifftruetype vorbis xine xv xvid vmware -bluetooth -esound
61 > -timidity"
62 > MAKEOPTS="-j5"
63 > GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ "
64 > SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
65 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"
66 > #INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
67 > INPUT_DEVICES="evdev virtualbox"
68 > VIDEO_CARDS="intel fbdev virtualbox vmware"
69 > #VIDEO_CARDS="intel vesa fbdev"
70 > ALSA_CARDS="hdsp usb"
71 > LINGUAS="en"
72 > ACCEPT_LICENSE="dlj-1.1 PUEL"
73 > source /usr/local/portage/layman/make.conf
74 > mark@firefly ~
77 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com