From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -avt xfce4-meta; haven't got startxfce4. Help, please!
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:38:20
1 On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 10 February 2010 17:33:46 Mark Knecht wrote:
3 <SNIP>
4 >>
5 >> Is it just me? On a new install I always still to an emerge -e @world
6 >> once I get to a working text based boot and I've done any modification
7 >> to make.conf as I don't really know how the compiler or tool set was
8 >> built. Just paranoid.
9 >
10 > That's worthwhile, it goes real quick once gcc and glibc are built. Plus
11 > (until recently at least) the published stages always had an out of date gcc
12 > on them.
13 >
14 >> I used to do it twice before I started installing apps or desktops but
15 >> I've cut back. :-)
16 >
17 > Twice is pointless :-)
18 >
19 > gcc rebuilds itself twice to ensure that the binary is built with the same
20 > version as the result, and verifies that the last two are bit-wise identical.
21 > Then building the toolchain, then building the rest of world gives you exactly
22 > what you hope to get from doing it twice.
23 >
24 And it was you or Neil or someone else here who pointed that out maybe
25 1-2 years ago so I stopped doing it twice.
26
27 But, heck, why not? I do a lot of pointless things every day. I only
28 do new installs a few times a year... ;-)
29
30 Anyway, right after the system first comes up it's usually less than 1
31 hour to do a complete rebuild of that most basic system and I've had
32 very few _strange_ problems bringing up Gentoo since I started doing
33 it. (In 2000, so 10 years now...)
34
35 - Mark