From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Replace 8TB drive with 10TB drive on encrypted LVM
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 15:35:53
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 12:40:21AM -0500 schrieb Dale:
3 >
4 >> Now to replace my /home drive which is also close to full.  It's not
5 >> encrypted tho. The biggest difference in this and plain LVM, resizing
6 >> with cryptsetup or close and reopen.  Keep in mind, while I did all
7 >> this, LUKS, cryptsetup, whatever was open.
8 > I recently learnt that you can encrypt an unencrypted devices on-the-fly.
9 > Kinda neat. It is also resilient to hard interruptions like power-offs.
10 > See man cryptsetup-reencrypt.
11 >
12 > But if you want to replace the drive anyways, it may be faster to set up a
13 > new device and rsync the files in the last step. I always use these kinds of
14 > opportunities to weed out old cruft on my filesystem.
18 The reason I left /home itself plain, when I leave, I lock the encrypted
19 parts.  I need the rest of /home plain so I can leave downloads and such
20 running.  If all of /home was encrypted, then I'd have to stop my
21 downloads or just store them elsewhere.  The things I want to keep
22 secure, they are in the encrypted parts.
23
24 I don't keep a lot of cruft around. The only exception, I need to clean
25 out bookmarks in Seamonkey.  I have a tool that helps in Firefox but
26 sadly, Seamonkey has few working addon type tools anymore.  Other than
27 email, I'd like to switch to something else.  Wouldn't mind switching
28 anyway but I just don't like the options.
29
30 Dale
31