From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Question re: UUID
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 07:40:16
1 On Tuesday 22 April 2008, Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday 21 April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
4 wrote:
5 > > > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:41:58 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
6 > > > > The other possible way would be to give your devices unique
7 > > > > names, either via udev or by using LVM. Advantage over UUIDs:
8 > > > > much easier to read.
9 > > >
10 > > > Or you could use filesystem labels.
11 > >
12 > > I've used filesystem labels for a long time and generally it works
13 > > really well. Only problem I've had is my Dad's machine has a Maxtor
14 > > 1-touch 1394 drive. It seems that often it doesn't get recognized
15 > > by the 1394 subsystem fast enough to satisfy whatever requirements
16 > > the Gentoo scripts have for the label being readable so it doesn't
17 > > reliably get recognized every time.
18 >
19 > I have thought about using labels, but never really ventured into it
20 > (I think I tried it once on a server). Can I do it retrospectively
21 > on ext2, reiserfs and xfs, or is it going to erase the contents of
22 > the partition?
23
24 No, it's safe. The various file system tools have a *label* or *tune*
25 tool to add a label to the fs metadata. Then simply update fstab.
26
27 The fun starts in finding the tool for your filesystems. ext2/3 is
28 easy - it's e2label. ReiserFS is a little more obscure :-) Finding this
29 amazing Reiser tool is left as an exercise for the reader (i.e. I can
30 never remember what it is myself and am too damn lazy to go and look
31 right now)
32
33 Personally, I prefer labels over other disk id methods. I get to choose
34 the label myself and can ensure they are unique in my world (but maybe
35 not in the universe like UUIDs are). If I have to mkfs a volume from
36 scratch for some reason, it's easier for me to to re-use the same label
37 than to re-use or copy-paste those long UUID strings
40 Alan McKinnon
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
44 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list