From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Question re: UUID
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 18:52:10
1 On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:40 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tuesday 22 April 2008, Mick wrote:
4 > > On Monday 21 April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 > > > On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
6 > wrote:
7 > > > > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:41:58 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
8 > > > > > The other possible way would be to give your devices unique
9 > > > > > names, either via udev or by using LVM. Advantage over UUIDs:
10 > > > > > much easier to read.
11 > > > >
12 > > > > Or you could use filesystem labels.
13 > > >
14 > > > I've used filesystem labels for a long time and generally it works
15 > > > really well. Only problem I've had is my Dad's machine has a Maxtor
16 > > > 1-touch 1394 drive. It seems that often it doesn't get recognized
17 > > > by the 1394 subsystem fast enough to satisfy whatever requirements
18 > > > the Gentoo scripts have for the label being readable so it doesn't
19 > > > reliably get recognized every time.
20 > >
21 > > I have thought about using labels, but never really ventured into it
22 > > (I think I tried it once on a server). Can I do it retrospectively
23 > > on ext2, reiserfs and xfs, or is it going to erase the contents of
24 > > the partition?
25 >
26 > No, it's safe. The various file system tools have a *label* or *tune*
27 > tool to add a label to the fs metadata. Then simply update fstab.
28 >
29 > The fun starts in finding the tool for your filesystems. ext2/3 is
30 > easy - it's e2label. ReiserFS is a little more obscure :-) Finding this
31 > amazing Reiser tool is left as an exercise for the reader (i.e. I can
32 > never remember what it is myself and am too damn lazy to go and look
33 > right now)
34 >
35 > Personally, I prefer labels over other disk id methods. I get to choose
36 > the label myself and can ensure they are unique in my world (but maybe
37 > not in the universe like UUIDs are). If I have to mkfs a volume from
38 > scratch for some reason, it's easier for me to to re-use the same label
39 > than to re-use or copy-paste those long UUID strings
40 >
41 > --
42 > Alan McKinnon
43 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
46 I like labels also. I've had a couple of cases where I've taken a
47 drive out of an old system but kept the drive around. Later I put the
48 drive in a 1394 drive case.I checked the drive label and immediately
49 knew it was a drive with ripped music, sessions I've recorded in
50 Ardour, etc. Labels are human readable and I tend to make them quite
51 descriptive.
52 --
53 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list