From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 14:41:52
1 On 2014-09-21, Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 2:58 AM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 2014-09-20, Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>>> The only Linux systems where I care about boot time are embedded
8 >>>> systems which are never going to have the resources needed to run
9 >>>> systemd.
10 >>>
11 >>> You are mistaken.
12 >>
13 >> No, I am not.
14 >>
15 >>> I've helped a friend debug problems on a couple devices running a
16 >>> custom Arch system with systemd.
17 >>
18 >> How does that contradict the statement I made that the systems where
19 >> I care about boot times do not have the resources required to run
20 >> systemd?
21 >
22 > You made a generic, catch-all statement about embedded systems which isnt
23 > necessarily true.
24
25 No, I made a statement about the systems where _I_ care about boot
26 time. The embedded systems where I care about boot time are two
27 industrial product lines where which I'm reponsible for the embedded
28 Linux OS. Boot time matters for those products. Those products don't
29 have a few extra MB to run systemd.
30
31 > There are plenty of routers or NAS devices or ipcams, etc that have
32 > the resources to run systemd. Pretty much everything that has the
33 > space to fit the kernel and a a few MB has the resources to run it
34
35 I don't care about boot times for routers, NAS devices, ipcams, etc.
36
37 The embedded systems where I care about boot time do _not_ have a few
38 extra MB to run systemd.
41 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I am covered with
42 at pure vegetable oil and I am
43 gmail.com writing a best seller!