From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't boot w/o noapic
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 22:55:29
1 On Donnerstag, 7. August 2008, maxim wexler wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > Couple days ago my PC suddenly froze and I had to reset. So I checked this
5 > and that and found out eventually that only by booting with the noapic
6 > option could the system be accessed. Even the BootCD requires it.
7 >
8 > This is an Asrock mobo, about 3 mos old, with nForce3 chip-set. I'm using
9 > the 2.6.24 kernel with all apic options set 'y'.
12 > questions:
13 > This happen to anybody else. Is there a fix? Does it matter? In the little
14 > time I've spent don't notice much different. What would cause a PC to
15 > suddenly require the noapic option when it didn't need it before?
16
17 because it is dying and some signals that were barely in spec are now out of
18 spec? I would update to latetest VANILLA sources, flash latest bios and if the
19 problem is still there - go to lkml. It is either a kernel thingy or hardware.