From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 17:29:23
1 On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2013-08-18 10:55 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> And, putting aside systemd and getting back on topic to the council's
5 >> decision of (eventually) not supporting separated /usr without an
6 >> initramfs; have you ever stopped to consider that, perhaps, that's the
7 >> best *technical* decision? (*gasp*)
10 > That is *not* the concern here, Canek, and that should be obvious from the
11 > comments here.
12
13 It's not obvious at all.
14
15 > Repeat: the primary concern is *not* about separate /usr without initramfs.
16
17 See the last batch of emails; but even before a lot of people stated
18 that their concern was the separate /usr withouth an initramfs
19 dropping support.
20
21 > The primary concern is that systemd will eventually be shoved down our
22 > throats whether we want it or not, and using eudev or mdev or *anything*
23 > other than systemd (ie OpenRC/eudev) will.
24
25 That makes no sense: the OpenRC maintainer is the one pushing the change.
26
27 > And the track record speaks for itself, regardless of *any* promises that it
28 > won't, it is obvious to anyone with eyes to see and ears to hear that this
29 > is a blatant LIE.
30
31 Seriosly? If you don't trust the OpenRC maintainer then you are
32 running out of options.
33
34 > Everything that is happening is simply setting the stage for precisely that.
35
36 Nah. That's FUD, simply. Again, dropping support for separate /usr
37 without initramfs is being pushed by the OpenRC maintainer, because it
38 needs that to effectively competing with systemd.
39
40 Really, read the Gentoo Project ML.
41
42 >> When you have almost all distributions converging on that, and even
43 >> *the OpenRC maintainer* (which is the one pushing this, BTW, not the
44 >> systemd guys) supporting that decision, don't you think that perhaps,
45 >> just*perhaps*, everybody screaming about the sky falling (which, BTW,
46 >>
47 >> they are certainly noisy, but I really don't think are that many) are
48 >> overreacting and even (*gasp* again) wrong?
51 > Again, the main issue is not about separate /usr, so please stop trying to
52 > deflect the subject...
53
54 Stop spreding FUD.
55
56 > In my opinion, the single largest reason to *not* switch to systemd in
57 > gentoo is the source of the push - in other words, it is coming from Fedora
58 > - and GNOME lovers are the maintainers.
59
60 Who's advocating for switching Gentoo to systemd? Citation please.
61
62 Really guys, get your facts straight.
63
64 Regards.
65 --
66 Canek Peláez Valdés