From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 13:27:13
1 On 2013-08-18 10:55 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > And, putting aside systemd and getting back on topic to the council's
3 > decision of (eventually) not supporting separated /usr without an
4 > initramfs; have you ever stopped to consider that, perhaps, that's the
5 > best *technical* decision? (*gasp*)
6
7 That is *not* the concern here, Canek, and that should be obvious from
8 the comments here.
9
10 Repeat: the primary concern is *not* about separate /usr without initramfs.
11
12 The primary concern is that systemd will eventually be shoved down our
13 throats whether we want it or not, and using eudev or mdev or
14 *anything* other than systemd (ie OpenRC/eudev) will.
15
16 And the track record speaks for itself, regardless of *any* promises
17 that it won't, it is obvious to anyone with eyes to see and ears to hear
18 that this is a blatant LIE.
19
20 Everything that is happening is simply setting the stage for precisely that.
21
22 > When you have almost all distributions converging on that, and even
23 > *the OpenRC maintainer* (which is the one pushing this, BTW, not the
24 > systemd guys) supporting that decision, don't you think that perhaps,
25 > just*perhaps*, everybody screaming about the sky falling (which, BTW,
26 > they are certainly noisy, but I really don't think are that many) are
27 > overreacting and even (*gasp* again) wrong?
28
29 Again, the main issue is not about separate /usr, so please stop trying
30 to deflect the subject...
31
32 In my opinion, the single largest reason to *not* switch to systemd in
33 gentoo is the source of the push - in other words, it is coming from
34 Fedora - and GNOME lovers are the maintainers.