From: Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 14:20:57
1 On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2013-08-18 10:55 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> And, putting aside systemd and getting back on topic to the council's
6 >> decision of (eventually) not supporting separated /usr without an
7 >> initramfs; have you ever stopped to consider that, perhaps, that's the
8 >> best *technical* decision? (*gasp*)
11 > That is *not* the concern here, Canek, and that should be obvious from the comments here.
12 >
13 > Repeat: the primary concern is *not* about separate /usr without initramfs.
14 >
15 > The primary concern is that systemd will eventually be shoved down our throats whether we want it or not, and using eudev or mdev or *anything* other than systemd (ie OpenRC/eudev) will.
16 >
17 *snip*
18 >
19 >> When you have almost all distributions converging on that, and even
20 >> *the OpenRC maintainer* (which is the one pushing this, BTW, not the
21 >> systemd guys) supporting that decision, don't you think that perhaps,
22 >> just*perhaps*, everybody screaming about the sky falling (which, BTW,
23 >>
24 >> they are certainly noisy, but I really don't think are that many) are
25 >> overreacting and even (*gasp* again) wrong?
28 > Again, the main issue is not about separate /usr, so please stop trying to deflect the subject...
31 Isn't that what this thread is about? "Optional /usr merge in Gentoo"
32
33 Can someone please explain to me what's so hard and/or complicated
34 about making an initramfs? At this point in time it's extremely
35 simple for me, but I only manage relatively simple systems (although
36 I'd like that to change soon). All I do is add one extra line (for
37 example - "dracut -H --kver=3.11.0-rc6") to my kernel install
38 procedure.
39
40 Granted, the only reason I have an initramfs is for the plymouth
41 splash screen (other systems aren't desktops) -- but from everything I
42 can see it's not too complicated otherwise.
45 Alecks Gates