From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 14:30:43
1 On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 2013-08-18 10:55 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> And, putting aside systemd and getting back on topic to the council's
7 >>> decision of (eventually) not supporting separated /usr without an
8 >>> initramfs; have you ever stopped to consider that, perhaps, that's the
9 >>> best *technical* decision? (*gasp*)
12 >> That is *not* the concern here, Canek, and that should be obvious from the comments here.
13 >>
14 >> Repeat: the primary concern is *not* about separate /usr without initramfs.
15 >>
16 >> The primary concern is that systemd will eventually be shoved down our throats whether we want it or not, and using eudev or mdev or *anything* other than systemd (ie OpenRC/eudev) will.
17 >>
18 > *snip*
19 >>
20 >>> When you have almost all distributions converging on that, and even
21 >>> *the OpenRC maintainer* (which is the one pushing this, BTW, not the
22 >>> systemd guys) supporting that decision, don't you think that perhaps,
23 >>> just*perhaps*, everybody screaming about the sky falling (which, BTW,
24 >>>
25 >>> they are certainly noisy, but I really don't think are that many) are
26 >>> overreacting and even (*gasp* again) wrong?
29 >> Again, the main issue is not about separate /usr, so please stop trying to deflect the subject...
32 > Isn't that what this thread is about? "Optional /usr merge in Gentoo"
33 >
34 > Can someone please explain to me what's so hard and/or complicated
35 > about making an initramfs? At this point in time it's extremely
36 > simple for me, but I only manage relatively simple systems (although
37 > I'd like that to change soon). All I do is add one extra line (for
38 > example - "dracut -H --kver=3.11.0-rc6") to my kernel install
39 > procedure.
40 >
41 > Granted, the only reason I have an initramfs is for the plymouth
42 > splash screen (other systems aren't desktops) -- but from everything I
43 > can see it's not too complicated otherwise.
44
45 Yeah... it is not complicated to but Windows as well, or IBM os-390!!!
46
47 You use a tool that hides the initramfs building, and you are amazed
48 it is simple?
49
50 The files within the initramfs generation tool are compiled using
51 different tool than portage, they are not updated when distribution is
52 updated, and they are not even at same version within portage tree.
53
54 It may be acceptable for you... but do not expect everyone will accept
55 your setup.
56
57 Regards,
58 Alon